Long-Term Outcomes of Adoption Reunions
What happens after reunion? I mean after the honeymoon is over and life goes on…In B.C. the Adoption Reunion Registry has been reuniting families since 1991. In this province alone there have been eighteen years of reunion experience. I was in that first wave of reunions and want to know how it has been for others? I think we have a lot of valuable information that needs to be shared within the adoption community and beyond, for our mutual benefit and for those who come after.
I am researching a book on the topic and the project would really benefit from your collective wisdom. If you could take a few minutes to email me your answers to some or all of these questions or make comments about your situation I would greatly appreciate it. Should you share any identifying information, it will be kept private and confidential.
1. What are the circumstances of your reunion – how long has it been, which family members have you met, who found who…?
2. What does your reunion look like now? Close, distant, nonexistent? What do you wish it was like?
3. What have been the positives/negatives of the experience for you?
4. In retrospect, what, if anything, would you do differently?
5. What advice would you give to those searching or about to have a reunion?
6. What changes would you like to see made to the current adoption system?
Thank you for your contribution, it is much appreciated!